The Origin: Holy Cross Institute, Hazaribag is owned and managed by an International Catholic Women’s Religious Congregation, “Sisters of Mercy of the Holy Cross” Ingenbohl Switzerland, which was founded in Switzerland in 1856 by a young dynamic visionary – Fr. Theodosius Florentini OFM Cap, who was titled by the Swiss Government as teacher of the youth and a great philanthropist. Mother Maria Theresa Scherer, the Co-Founderess was a daring woman who had a charismatic service personality to care for the poor and work for the progress of the society. She is known as the “Mother of the poor”. The motto of our congregation is “Need of the time is the will of God”. The Institute has at present 987 establishments in 17 countries of the world.
The Holy Cross Sisters has been serving the citizens of India since 1894 in building up of the society. The areas of its services are: Social welfare, Social development, Agricultural Research & Extension, Hospitals and Health care centers, Empowerment of women, Education at different levels etc. wherever the human need calls for.